Sunday, May 17, 2009

Being brave or stupid...

Most of us who blog are more than likely to only put up our designs that we are happy with or that we think are worth sharing. Well I am going to be brave (or maybe it is being stupid) and put up a card that I started off with what I thought was good ideas, and was fiddly, but then turned into a disaster (or atleast I think!). I am also going to be brave and still enter it into the Kristina Werner challenge that I had the intention to do, only because I am not sure that I will have time this week to do another and also because maybe others can see the initial ideas that I had - the intent was there!

Well here it is:

And this is the colours that Kristina gave us to work with:

To see the other entries you can click here and it will take you to Kristina's blog.

But before I go I will quickly explain my process and where I felt it went wrong. To start off with I put the Stampin' Up! inks that I was going to use on my craft table: Whisper White, More Mustard, So Saffron, Tempting Turquoise and Sahara Sand, to see what they might inspire. I then decided I wanted to use one of Stampin' Up!'s new stamp set and because I think 'Window Dressing' has so much potential (both looking into and out of a window) I decided to use that one and put it on my table. Then the ideas started flowing. As we are heading into winter I thought the little girl could be looking out at a wintry scene complete with snowmen and I could then get to play with my 'Snow Writer pen' that I bought a few weeks back.

I used Stampin' Up!'s background stamp 'Sanded' to give some detail to the Sahara Sand card base which was to represent the wall of the house and then I played with creating a tiled roof (now completely lost under the snow!). I stamped the window onto More Mustard cardstock and cut out the window panes which were replaced with clear acrylic. I created a curtain topper with Tempting Turquoise and stamped some small butterflies on ('Beyond the Basics' - retired set), used the scallop edge punch to make a ruffle. Using my Stamp-a-ma-jig I stamped the little girl onto the acrylic window and added a bow out of Tempting Turquoise cardstock (wasn't that fiddly!). I stamped the snowmen onto Whisper White cardstock and added a piece of Whisper White for the snow on the ground. I placed a piece of So Saffron cardstock inside the card and which represents the inside wall of the house as seen through the window.

Then this is where it all went pear shape - my use of the Snow Writer pen! My effects of snow become a mess and so I tried to fix it on the roof but the more I tried the worse it seemed to get. Anyway I thought rather than hide it away I would share my disaster with others and also welcome any feedback or suggestions on how I could have done this better or how best to use a Snow Writer pen and make the snow realistic. Or perhaps you might be willing to share one of your failures with me and what you did with it.

Anyway thanks for stopping by my blog and have a great week! :)

Happy stamping!

11 comments:

Sankari W. said...

OMGoodness This is awesome!! I think you are being waaay too hard on yourself - seriously - this is simply sooo creative and way to think outside of the box!! what a lovely scene you have created and I absolutely love the little face peeking behind the window! Your snow is awesome!!! LOVE your card - it is simply inspiring!!!
hugs,
Sankari :)

Yaneri ScrapyCrafter said...

Omgosh! Mae, this turned out so so awesome! Wishing it would be christmas, winter already! Love how you created the snow! So so lovely!

Yaneri

Mae Collins said...

Thanks Sankari for your lovely comments. My daughter thought my card was ok but my dear hubby thought it was messy and I was disappointed that I hid the effect of my roof - I will definately try this again!

Mae Collins said...

Thanks Yaneri for your lovely comment too! We don't have snow at Christmas time here in Australia so I decided not to put a Christmas tree in the background in the window, but I think that would be a nice touch too! I might try that another time for a Christmas card, especially one that I send to relatives in England.

Ange Kelly said...

Mae, I think the card turned out great! I love it!

Rochelle said...

I think your card looks great! The little girl peaking out of the window looks like she is happy to be inside and not out! Great use of the colors!

Two Happy Stampers said...

I think your snow effect is very well done! =)

Louise said...

Failure? I'd LOVE to fail like you do - this is gorgeous!
Beautiful work, as always Mae, well done!

travelingmama said...

I think this is very cute! The little girl is adorable!

Butternut Sage Designs said...

hi there, ooooo I am so sorry winter is coming there.....we just ended ours and not a minute too soon I might add...but your card is adorable! I will have to remember it for next season!!!!!

Terri E. said...

You are stinking cute. It is so hard to think of winter coming when we are just getting out of that season LOL! Great job on the color challenge.

It's a good life!
Terri E.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails