Saturday, May 16, 2009

Making new friends...

One of the things I love about my hobbies (stamping and scrapbooking) and about being a 'blogger' (thanks to my daughter's help) is the opportunity to make new friends and to share ideas and techniques with one another.

Last night I held a stamp workshop at my home as a result of my local friends and customers wanting to get together to stamp and use my stamp stash (and do I have an addiction!) as well as a request from a lovely lady from Queensland, Debbie who frequents my blog and was visiting in Tassie with a few of her friends and wanted to join in one of my stamp classes. She was originally inspired by my one sheet wonder templates and loves stamping and scrapbooking. So she and her friend Dianne came along and shared some 'creative time' with us, it was so nice to meet new people. [I did think of them today as they intended to go to the Salamanca Market and it was such a cold wintry day today! Oh well, maybe they will come back in summer time and can appreciate it more then.]


L-R: Sally, Debbie and Dianne

L-R: Bianca, Sarah, Sally, Raewyn (obscured)

Not only have I made friends with Debbie and Dianne but I am also networking with some lovely ladies from New Zealand (and one who has flown the coop from NZ to Queensland as well) and we are participating in a 'circle journal'. A Circle Journal is a small booklet/album created on a personally chosen theme and in which you list any specific instructions you may have (eg a colour theme, no metal embelishments etc), have a sign in page for the participants to introduce themselves and then each person contributes a page or two based on the topic of the circle journal. It is passed around the group 'round robin' style until it comes back to you completed. My circle journal was titled 'Circle of Friends' and on the topic of friendship. I did not decorate the cover to allow for any 'bumps and bruises' as it travels about but will decorate it when it returns to me. Silly me forgot to take photos of my journal before I put it in the post to Julia in NZ (and I wanted to share what I started here on my blog - now I will have to be patient for 10 months for it to return to me as that is how many people are participating in this activity).

Anyway I received Tia's circle journal late last week and I have managed to find time this weekend (in between typing my husbands Uni assignment) to put my contribution in to her journal. I have taken photos of what I contributed plus her front cover (I hope you don't mind Tia) which I think is great. Her topic was 'Craft tips and Fav techniques'. I shared my enjoyment of simple and economical techniques like 'inking edges', paper piercing, 'faux techniques' - including false stitching, false brads using punched dots etc. As our printer ran out of ink today and I wanted to complete my pages I resigned myself to handwriting it (which we should include on our scrapbooking pages but many of us prefer not to as we often don't like our own writing style).



Stamps: In the Stars (Retired)
Cardstock: Berry Bliss Designer Series Paper (Retired)
Ink: Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Chocolate Chip Stampin' Write Marker, Crop-o-Dile to create faux brads, paper pierce, sponge dauber


Another thing I finished this past week was decorating an 'E' for my daughter's bedroom door. She really liked the finished product and I was happy with it too!

Thanks for stopping by and feel free to leave your comments via the link below this post as I love to hear what you have to say and if you have anything you would like to share.

Happy stamping!

2 comments:

Debbie Davis said...

Hi Mae

It's Debbie here - got home yesterday and have only just had time to get on the computer. Thank you for your lovely comments & also thank you again for a lovely evening - Diane & I enjoyed ourselves immensely! Thank you for your concern but we still did brave the rain and headed to the Salamanca Markets on Saturday morning. It was worth braving the weather as we then headed up to Mt Wellington & all us Queenslanders got to see & feel snow for the first time!

I hope we can continue to keep in touch & I will certainly be checking back for new ideas!

Debbie

Mae Collins said...

Hi Debbie
Glad you are safely home and had a good time on your holiday in the South of Tassie. Love to see you both again if you come this way, just let me know and we shall definately keep in touch. If I get to Queensland sometime I will let you know.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails