Sunday, June 7, 2009

Best of intentions and another OSW!

I intended to create a new One Sheet Wonder (OSW) template that included my favourite card designs and a new one or two, as well as creating a useful handout as a resource for a Stampin' Up! One Sheet Wonder workshop - oh well best intentions die hard! It took so long putting together the template - which didn't really include variations in design - that I felt I rushed the creating and embelishing of the actual cards! Although I did like my stamped cardstock, I think the colours and stamps go well together!

For those who drop by my blog on a regular basis will know that one of my favourite techniques is that of creating One Sheet Wonders - which is a catchy name for a fun method of making lots and lots of cards quickly. You start by stamping a blank sheet of cardstock (either A4 or 12x12) with stamps and colours of your choice - or you can use a sheet of designer series or double-sided patterned paper to make it an even quicker process!

Then based upon a template (or you can cut up your cardstock however you like!) you cut up your stamped sheet of cardstock (or DSP) and use these pieces as your feature elements on your cards. Then you add contrasting cardstock of your stamped colours and embelishments as you fancy. Remembering this technique is usually to create bulk cards quickly, therefore, I tend to use less embelishments in this process and it is also a way of making cards not only quickly but more economically. However, in saying this I am not always happy with the results of some cards, as was the case today - I don't particularly like the design of card no. 8 too plain!

As I know many people from across the globe drop by my blog to gather templates for OSWs and have requested the measurements in both metric and imperial, I tend to take the time to make up my templates to share with others - this is the lengthy part of the process for me as is the process of photographing my cards, adding my watermark image and uploading them to my blog or other stamping/crafting sites that I visit and who promote this technique.

Anway here is my third A4 One Sheet Wonder template and cards that I created - notice one piece of the stamped sheet was used to decorate a box that I created to store the cards and envelopes - which turns it into a lovely gift to give!


Stamps: Enjoy Every Moment, Sincere Salutations
Cardstock:
Very Vanilla
Inks: Tangerine Tango, Pacific Point, Baja Breeze (new In Colors)
Accessories: Pacific Point ribbon, sponge daubers


Click on the video below to view each of the cards individually and the box I created.



The box was made from two sheets of Stampin' Up!'s Natural Ivory cardstock cut to 20cm x 24cm and I scored each of the four sides of one sheet at 4cm and each of the four sides of the other piece at 3.8cm to create a bottom and lid. I used the slot punch to punch out finger grips on the long side of the lid of the box. I put used a piece of the stamped cardstock to decorate the top and adhered a piece of Pacific Point ribbon around the lid.

Some tips when doing One Sheet Wonders:

  1. When stamping your blank cardstock piece, remember not to leave too much 'white space' as when you cut the pieces some edges/sections may look empty.
  2. Stamp your larger images first and then fill the 'white space' with smaller images.
  3. Cut the full straight cuts first (eg in this template the first cut is half the longside of the A4 sheet).
  4. Be careful when turning the cardstock around for ease of cutting that you don't confuse yourself with the measurements.
  5. Number each piece, when cut, on the back with a pencil so you remember which piece is for which card.

Have fun and don't forget to let me know if you find the templates useful and I would always love to see what you create - feel free to leave links within your comments to where you have shared your results from these templates for others to get inspired and see new ideas!

Happy stamping!

4 comments:

7kidsmakesbusydays said...

Hi Mae
I like how it came together. I dont think card 8 is plain - I do think you could add the tag or embelishment in a slightly different spot.
I would tent fold the card and add the "eye chatcher" at the bottom diagonally opposite (your card)
I think a rectangular tag with saying would look good. As I said I dont think it is to plain.
Good job - well done.
Raewyn

McStamper said...

I have never tried a OSW but you have posted such great ideas wit the patterns, I think I will be trying it soon. I have added your blog to my Google Reader, in hops there will be more in the future.

Ann Wills said...

Hi Mae, love the colours, so fresh.

Jenny in MAine said...

Great cards!! I always forget about OSW, I am going to print out and put this on my to-do list.

Thanks for the inspiration...that I GREATLY need!!

Hugs,
Jenny in MAine

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails