Monday, July 13, 2009

Box in a Bag

How often do you save techniques/tutorials to your favourites when surfing the internet for craft, stamping, and or scrapbooking ideas or when visiting your favourite blog sites etc saying "I would like to try that sometime"? Well I often do and today I thought it was about time that I tried to make one of those items that I had occasionally seen on various blogs and websites. Most call it a 'box in a bag' and with Stampin' Up!'s beautiful range of designer series paper (DSP) and time on my hands to enjoy my craft I thought I would give it a try.

I had two sites marked in my favourites where I thought the tutorial on how to make them was clear and easy to follow (there may be more out there and perhaps for different sizes - I think I could see this technique being done using a full 12x12 sheet of designer series paper to make a larger sized bag - I must have another look online and see or make up my own measurements!). Anyway I decided that I would make two, one following each tutorial. I did not photograph each of my steps as I think the tutorials I acknowledge here show quite clearly how to make them - thanks Diana and Paula. They look quite large in my photo here but they only stand approx. 15 cm tall.



I first made the one on the left following Diana Gibb's tutorial using Stampin' Up!'s Bella Rose DSP and matching Kiwi Kiss cardstock from the new In Color range. I used a white gel pen for the faux stitching technique on the bottom trim (edged with the Scallop Edge Punch) and handles, which were made using the Round Tab Punch, and embellished the front using the Boho Blossoms Punch and small buttons, tying it off with some Very Vanilla Taffeta Ribbon.

The second one (0n the right) I made following Paula Goff's tutorial again using Stampin' Up!'s Bella Rose DSP and matching Chocolate Chip cardstock - Pink Pirouette and Chocolate Chip go well together! For this bottom trim I used the Slit Punch to create the scallop edge and again used the Boho Blossom and Round Tab Punches for the embelishments and handles. I tied this one off with wide Chocolate Chip Satin Ribbon.

The two things that I decided, should I make more of these, was as Paula suggested and that was to cut the long narrow strip used for the bottom trim first (and set aside for later) and then cut the piece for the box base. The reason for this is if you are using an A4 sheet of cardstock and cut the base first you will most likely need to use another piece of cardstock to get the desired length for the 11" strip, therefore, it is best to cut this strip first for economy of cardstock usage. The second thing with this strip is that it does not have to be cut as wide if you use Stampin' Up!'s Scallop Edge Punch rather than the Slit Punch to create the scallop edge, you do not need such a wide strip on the bottom edge, unless of course that is your personal preference.

If anyone has or knows of a site where this 'box in a bag' is done differently or with a full sheet of 12x12 designer series paper please leave me a comment and link to the site so that I can see how they made a larger one or altered them from those demonstrated by Diana and Paula.

I think the sizes I made will make great gifts (with something special inside) for my Stampin' Up! hostesses and maybe Laura my lovely hostess later this week will be the first recipient.

1 comment:

VIP Cards said...

Its a really nice to see the design of bag. This tutorial will give us some guidance on how to make this according to our own measurements. Thanks for sharing this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails