Sunday, October 25, 2009

Hobart Regional Swap and Masking...

Last week I attended a Hobart Regional Training session put on by Stampin' Up! and of course I wanted to make some swaps to take along. However, due to my busy personal schedule I never managed to get them completed - I had intentions to take about 20 swaps and half of them are still sitting uncompleted on my craft table! I managed to get 10 put together just minutes before I had to literally leave home to arrive in time for the event and I missed having any tea in my endeavours to get them finished! The things we do for our love of crafting and sharing what we make with others!

Anyway, here is the swap that I made using the stamp set Sense of Time from the current mini catalogue (which is due to finish at the end of November 2009). I had challenged myself to make my swap a male orientated card as these I find more difficult to do. I also enjoy masking and so used this technique on the card, my son also thought I had taken up his idea of using a style called 'steampunk' with this particular stamp set.


The trick with masking several images is to ensure you stamp the image you want to see at the front of the card first, that is, the one that is to be the focus and not stamped over or that appears to have the other images stamped behind it. On my card front I wanted the clock face to be that image and so I stamped it first using Not Quite Navy and then using another stamped image of the clock that I had already cut out, I covered the clock and stamped the background stamp Sanded over the top covering the entire card front. I then stamped the image of the cogs randomly over the card front before I removed my clock 'mask'.



To help get a clear stamped image to the edge of my mask I have a tendency to cut the mask slightly inside the image edge and when I stamp the images over the mask I ensure that I put a little added pressure over the edge of the mask to allow for the ridge and to get a connected line - if there is a gap with the Stampin' Write Markers of the matching colour I can 'touch up' any gaps!


Inking just the smaller clock face I stamped additional images in Chocolate Chip ink and cut these out. Unfortunately I found the 1" punch slightly too small and my 1 1/4" punch slightly too large to punch this image out - so this was a bit time consuming. Using a brad from the Earth Elements set I pierced this through. I also found our Tag Punch too small to punch around my stamped words so again I was to cut these out. For the ones I managed to put together for my swaps I simply tore an edge around the words as this was a quicker process with my short time frame! I inked the edges with Chocolate Chip. Both the small clock face and the word tag I mounted using Stampin' Dimensionals to add extra dimension to the card.

I then mounted the stamped Very Vanilla card front on to a piece of Not Quite Navy cardstock and then mounted this again on to a piece of Kraft cardstock. I was very pleased with the result although not happy that I ran out of time to complete all my swaps!

1 comment:

Leigh said...

I like this card Mae. Great colours and using the masking tech to get all the layers is fabulous.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails