Monday, March 1, 2010

Outside my comfort zone...

Well tonight (last night actually) I decided to go outside my comfort zone and create a card that is not my usual style (or a colour combination that I would normal choose) for the latest "Just Add Ink" challenge - this time it was a sketch challenge.

Here is the sketch they gave us:


And this is the card I created:


Stamps: Big Deal Alphabet
Inks: Pink Passion
Cardstock: Tempting Turquoise, Pink Passion
Accessories: Kaleidoscope DSP, Tempting Turquoise Stampin' Write Marker, Paper Piercer and Mat Pack, Accents & Elements, Rhinestone brads, snail adhesive and sticky dots

I started with the flower embelishments first as I have been recently inspired by one of the "Just Add Ink's" Design Team member's tutorial on decorating a head band - Sarah Klass - and it made me get out my Accents & Elements and Pretties Kit to see what I could use. I decided to put the three colour combinations and different flower types together from the Accents & Elements kit and then the card colour combination flowed from these.

As I like the Kaleidoscope Designer Series Paper in Stampin' Up!'s latest Summer Mini Catalogue I thought a piece that I had left might just go well with my flowers. So then I decided to use Tempting Turquoise as my card base and with Mother's Day coming up in May I decided to use the Big Deal Alphabet stamp set and stamp the greeting 'Mum' on to Pink Passion cardstock with Pink Passion ink.

Because it was late and I didn't want to get my sewing maching out to stitch the cardstock edges (thought if I woke the family at midnight sewing I might not be appreciated) I decided to add some faux stitching to my edges using the Tempting Turquoise Stampin' Write Marker.

Here is a closer look at my faux stitching and my flower embelishments:

So this is the process that I went through to design and create the card for this latest challenge. How do you start your creative process, what techniques do you use to come up with your final design?

I had intended to do a scrapbook layout for this particular challenge but as usual I made a card. However, if I can lay my hands on the photos I had in mind for my layout and time does not become an issue I will try to do the scrapbook layout as well for this sketch challenge before the deadline.

Anyway it's time to take my mother-in-law (and my husband as he has a day off) out for lunch and some time in the shops! Bye for now and thanks for stopping by and looking, don't forget to leave a comment as I love to hear your responses to what I share here on my blog.

Enjoy your day!

8 comments:

Tui Nathan said...

Hi Mae, such a pretty card - I love your colour combination here ... I too have the Kaleidoscope DSP but it still remains sealed, thanks for the inspiration I might have to open it this week. And honestly .... I really thought that stitching was real ...even in the close up shot, it looks real. Well done, good for you getting a head start on Mother's Day!!!

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Love the faux stitching. I can really relate to the whole 'getting out of your comfort zone' in regards to the colour combo. Good on you for allowing yourself to be stretched!! Thanks for playing along at Just Add Ink.

Robyn said...

Hi Mae! Your faux stitching looks great! Just as well you didn't get out the sewing machine- there is quite a lot of stitching on it and you would have been sure to wake them all up!

Karen said...

A very pretty card, love your faux stitching.

stampingspot said...

Beautiful, bright and cheerful card! I thought the stitching was real - it looks so good! The flowers are beautiful too!
Michelle

Amanda said...

Hi Mae, your cards always inspire me. Thanks for playing at Just Add Ink! xx Amanda

Leah said...

Love the bright colours.

Danielle Daws said...

Hi Mae, are you sure this is out of your comfort zone!? This is a fantastic card! Thanks for playing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails