Saturday, April 3, 2010

Just Add Challenge #11 - French Style!

When I am crafting I try to accomplish a number of things in one project. That is, if I have a particular purpose for creating something whether it be a birthday card for a friend or family member, a sample project for a workshop or something commissioned for me to make, I also try to make it fit in with a challenge that I like to participate in.

Therefore, the two following cards were made to participate in this week's Just Add Ink Challenge #11 - which was to "Just Add ... Ink! - Make anything you like, using anything you like!" while making items for the shop in Hobart that I have just starting making for - Chez Moi French Style, on Liverpool Street.

Generally, the projects I share here are 100% Stampin' Up! products or almost so and these fit into the almost category as I have used some ribbon and a Fleur de Lis stamp supplied by the shop owner.


Card 1
Stamps: Carte Postale (SU retired), Occasional Greetings (SU retired), Classic-Fleur-De-Lys (Stampabilities)
Cardstock: Very Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, Soft Suede (Fleur De Lys)
Ink: Soft Suede (new In Color)
Accessories: Hodgepodge Hardware (Antique Brass), Stampin' Dimensionals, ribbon (supplied by shop owner)



The background for these cards was inspired by the very talented Sarah Klass (JAI Design Team Member) who explained the technique on her blog using a different decorative scroll type stamp, turning the stamp each time to get a regular tight fitting pattern. As she explained the Stamp-a-ma-jig is a must have for this part...it also helps not to drop the stamp during the process as I did (but you wouldn't notice on the cards as I cut the piece I stamped up to make the two cards - if you look at the full stamp piece below you might see my clumsiness.)

Card 2
Stamps: Carte Postale (SU retired), Vintage Labels (ended SAB), Classic-Fleur-De-Lys (Stampabilities)
Cardstock: Very Vanilla, Soft Suede (Fleur De Lys and border)
Ink: Soft Suede (new In Color)
Accessories: Hodgepodge Hardware (Antique Brass), Stampin' Dimensionals, ribbon (supplied by shop owner)


As you can see I find it economical to make more than one card at a time, although I do find it hard to make them exactly the same! There is usually a slight difference between them whether it be a different accessory or simply just a change of greeting.

I really liked how this Fleur-De-Lys stamp came out by inking the new In Color (from the Autmn-Winter Mini) Soft Suede directly onto Soft Suede cardstock. It was also fairly easy to cut out by hand to add dimension to the card. I hope Karen likes these cards as much as the first ones I made for her.

Here is a close-up of the Fleur-De-Lys and the Hodgepodge Hardware that I used on my cards. The Antique Brass ones go so well with the Soft Suede, so it is a shame they are no longer available, although I still love to use the Styled Silver ones on my cards and scrapbook layouts.

Here is the original background piece that I stamped using the flourish stamp. I stamped one row at a time and then turned the stamp around for the next row. I used the Stamp-a-ma-jig to get the pattern nice and tight and even. I was very pleased with the result and will definately try this again with other stamps! [And next time I will be careful that I don't drop my stamp during the process!]


Thanks for stopping by and don't forget that if you want to receive your own copy of the new Autumn-Winter Mini, want to buy some Stampin' Up! products or you would like to have a workshop at your home with your friends (and you live in the South of Tassie!) then drop me an email and I will help you out!

I hope you are enjoying your Easter break - if you get one!

5 comments:

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Very French, very chic!

Linda's Craziness said...

Beautiful cards as always. Love your site

Danielle Daws said...

Beautiful cards, Mae! Very elegant. :-)

Sharnee Torrents said...

French indeed! SUch wonderful colours and stunning cards! How super is the new mini!! Love it!

Amanda said...

Beautiful Mae! Thanks for playing at Just Add Ink!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails