Friday, April 16, 2010

Just Add Ink Challenge #13

When I saw the latest Just Add Ink Colour Challenge I was keen to have a play with the colours they gave, as I felt they were such a lovely combination:


As always when I participate in challenges I like to achieve several things at the same time or to have a purpose for creating something other than simply joining in the particular challenge. Today was no exception! I have been busily making 'bag in a box' items to sell as these make great gift ideas (with something in them of course!) and so I thought why not make one for Mother's Day which is 9 May (second Sunday in May) for those who might have forgotten. [My mum is a regular follower of my blog so these items won't come as a surprise when she receives them but what is inside will be, so I won't be taking photos of or telling you what will be in the bag! No peeking mum!]




I also wanted to make a coordinating card and as my mum is a keen quilter, she makes some beautiful things, I wanted to have a go at making a patchwork card using the top note die, as I have seen several of these on other blogs and at Splitcoast Stampers. Another item that I have been meaning to make and thought would go as a nice embelishment on my card was a ribbon rosette or flower (thanks for the inspiration Danielle). So you see I have accomplished several goals while participating in this challenge.




Box in a Bag & Card Supplies
Stamps: Occasional Greetings
Cardstock: Kiwi Kiss, Barely Banana, Chocolate Chip DSP, Bella Rose DSP, Spring Flowers DSP (retired), Whisper White
Ink: Kiwi Kiss
Accessories: Top Note Die, 1 1/4" punch (Creative Memories), Boho Blossoms Punch, Scallop Edge Punch, Round Tab Punch, Flower Brads, 1" Double-Stitched Grosgrain Ribbon (Chocolate Chip), 5/8" Grosgrain Ribbon (Very Vanilla), whtet gel pen, sponge dauber, paper piercer, adhesive

I think this colour challenge was such a lovely combination and even my DH said it was one of the best cards I have made lately and it was a lot to do with the colour combo!

I might be making a few more cards similar to this as I can see a nice boxed set of quilting cards being made for my mother in case she would like some to give on birthdays or as thank you cards to her quilting friends.

How to make the patchwork top note:
  1. Cut Whisper White cardstock 5" x 3 3/4"
  2. Punch 1 1/4" squares from your choice of Designer Series Paper.
  3. Attach squares to white cardstock with Snail Adhesive.
  4. Place decorated white cardstock on Top Note Die and run through Big Shot machine.
  5. [Optional] If you have a suitable embossing Texture Folder/Plate then you can run your cut Patchwork Top Note through the Big Shot machine again to emboss it and give a more realistic quilted effect.
Have fun making some of these yourselves and leave a comment if you do with a link to your creation as I would love to see what you come up with.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mae your creations are truly stunning. This is such a fabo colour combo as your work has shown.TFS. Cheers Donna Zammit

Jodene said...

This is gorgeous Mae! I am sure your mum is going to love it :)

Bronwyn Eastley said...

This is such a lovely gift bag and card which certainly does look great in those colours. I've had a top note, patchwork card on my list for ages too! Hope to get to it soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

Christine Blain said...

Beautifully finished projects, Mae; great challenge entry! I love the flower brads, and your step-by-step instructions for the quilted Top Note. Thanks for sharing!

Susan Joyce said...

Fab projects Mae! Especially like the quilted card.

Dallas said...

This set is gorgeous and I'm sure your Mum is going to treasure it :o)

Amanda said...

Hi Mae! You always wow me with your beautiful creations. Great work with this weeks colour combo. Thank you for joining us this week at Just Add Ink! xx Amanda

Danielle Daws said...

This is so beautiful, Mae! I've been meaning to try the quilted Top Notes - I think your idea of a box sets is brilliant. And a great way to use scraps! :-) Love your rosette too - I like the punched flower on top!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful projects! Love the ribbon flower!!!! :)

Nicole said...

Just beautiful. Love the patchwork Top Note!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails