Monday, May 24, 2010

Vintage Vogue with Soft Suede

While playing with ESADs projects over the past weekend, and especially having to create a "distressed" look to one of my cards, I happened to discover a lovely effect of clear embossing the flourish stamp from the Vintage Vogue stamp set as a background. I especially liked the effect this took on the new In Colour cardstock Soft Suede!

I stamped the flourish stamp in Versamark ink on to Soft Suede cardstock and then embossed it with clear embossing powder. Then I heat set it with my heat tool and the flourish appeared as a darker imprint on the cardstock. [I felt this would be a good colour combination when showing new customers the technique of embossing as sometimes when embossing with clear embossing powder it is hard to see when it changes and sets!]

To give my card a more "distressed" or "vintage" look I swiped Soft Suede ink direct from stamp pad over the embossed flourishes on my Soft Suede cardstock. I actually did the entire card base with this background effect (see image of card back below).For my front panel I stamped the French Script background stamp (now retired, sorry!) on to a piece of Very Vanilla cardstock with Soft Suede ink. I then used Versamark ink to stamp the large flower from the Vintage Vogue stamp set randomly across the panel and then again clear embossed these flowers. Using Creamy Caramel, More Mustand and Soft Suede inks I sponged randomly across the front panel, wiping off any excess ink from the embossed flowers - Emboss Resist Technique. I mounted this piece on to More Mustard cardstock and then put a small border in Soft Suede using the Eyelet Border Punch, although I might have been better off using a more constrasting piece of cardstock.


I then stamped another flower in More Mustard on to a scrap piece of Very Vanilla, having sponged some Creamy Caramel on to the stamp before stamping. After I cut out my flower I then sponged some Soft Suede around the edges for a bit more impact. I attached this to the corner of the front panel with a rhinestone brad and then attached the front panel to the front of my card.

I stamped a greeting "thinking of you" from the new Teeny Tiny Sentiments stamp set in Soft Suede on to More Mustard cardstock, punched it out with the Word Window Punch, placed two pewter brads/split pins in each end and then adhered it to the card front with Stampin' Dimensionals.

I was very pleased with how my card turned out, although it is not in proportion to the Just Add Ink sketch that I based it on and I turned the sketch around to suit my needs.

I think Soft Suede is going to replace Chocolate Chip as one of my favourite shades of Stampin' Up! colours! Do you have a favourite SU colour that you always tend to use in your cards, scrapbooking or papercraft projects?

8 comments:

Christine Tuff said...

wow Mae, as always with your cards, I absolutely love this!!! The background you did is amazing!! Will definitely have to CASE this one!!!

Amanda said...

Great project Mae! Thanks for playing!

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Love everything that you have going on with this card, Mae. Great techniques and colours used.

Christine Blain said...

Mae, this is sooooo beautiful!! I love your embossing and distressing, and the step-by-step 'tutorial'. I never would've thought to pair Soft Suede with More Mustard, but it looks fantastic. Gorgeous card.

Robyn said...

Hi Mae! I like your colour combo too! And the brads on either end of the word window look great as well. My fave colour would have to be Brocade Blue...sadly retiring!!

Always Playing with Paper said...

This card caught my eye and I had to come visit your blog. Your work is gorgeous and so inspiring. Love what you did with the Vintage Vogue set!

Smiles,
Lesley :)

Liam said...

This is just beautiful.

Liam

Danielle Daws said...

Oh, Mae, this is just beautiful! I love it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails