Friday, February 4, 2011

That time of the week again! JAI Colour Challenge...

Another week has passed and so it is that time of the week again for another Just Add Ink challenge, this week it is a colour challenge...

I again struggled with the challenge this week, not because of the colour combination but because my past week as been busy with supporting a friend while her husband has been in hospital having open heart surgery and because I didn't have any Rose Red cardstock (just some tiny off-cuts!). My friend's husband is slowly on the mend and will be out of ICU hopefully by the time this post goes live on my blog!

I had a few ideas floating around my head for this challenge and until I sat down at my craft desk to create my DT submission I didn't know which idea I would go with. This is the card I finally created...


Stamps: Just Believe, French Script, Sanded, Tiny Tags
Inks: Early Espresso, Soft Suede, Rose Red, Regal Rose
Cardstock/Paper: Patterns Pack II DSP, Early Espresso, Regal Rose, Soft Suede
Accessories: Stamp-a-ma-jig, Clear Embossing Powder, Sewing Maching, Sponges, Jewelry Tag Medium Punch, Pewter Brad, adhesive


First I stamped French Script (now retired) in Soft Suede on to a piece of DSP from Patterns Pack II (last catalogue hostess gift), then I inked up my image from the Just Believe stamp set in Early Espresso - but before I stamped it on to the DSP I removed the ink from the flowers and coloured them in with my Rose Red Stampin' Write Marker (thinking this was the only way I was going to meet the Rose Red part of the colour challenge!!). After stamping this image on to my DSP I decided that I would clear emboss the image for added impact. So out came my Stamp-a-ma-jig, a very handy tool to have in your stamping supplies, to help me align the image that was now to be inked in Versamark before applying the Clear Embossing Powder. I then sponged the edges of my DSP with Rose Red ink and adhered this to a piece of Early Espresso cardstock.

I was really happy with the process so far and so I decided to do something else that I haven't done for a while, I got my sewing machine out and stitched around the edges of my DSP on to the cardstock. If you look closely you will see that it is not really neat but I was still happy with the effect it produced.

I really wanted to mount this piece on to Rose Red cardstock but not having any off-cuts large enough, and my friend did not have any either, I substituted it for Regal Rose cardstock but to deepen the colour I inked the edges with Rose Red ink. I wrapped a piece of 1/8" Early Espresso Taffeta Ribbon around the front panel and attached a couple of Jewelry Tags stamped from the Tiny Tags stamp set using a Pewter brad.

This feature panel was then adhered to a card base of Soft Suede which I had stamped with the Sanded background stamp using Soft Suede ink.

I was very happy with the result, what do you think?

Even though I faced challenges to complete my card, apart from the actual colour challenge itself, I really enjoyed the process taken in putting it together. This is one of the aspects I enjoy about my craft - time out from the every day chores and pressures of daily life!

So pop on over to Just Add Ink and see what other fabulous ideas the rest of the Design Team had from using this lovely colour combination!

Thanks again for stopping by for another JAI challenge and I will see you back here next week for the next one!

4 comments:

Tania Gould said...

Mae, this is BEAUTIFUL. Truly beautiful! Right up my alley! I LOVE IT!!!!!
BTW so glad your friends husband is doing well...one day at a time I'm sure.

Patrice said...

Well Mae despite not having any Rose Red c/s you've made this look amazingly like Rose Red. Love all the elements you've put into this card - and the end result shows the effort. I love it.

Bronwyn Eastley said...

All I can say is that I'm totally in love with this card!!

KimB said...

It is just beautiful Mae - and really shows all the thought and work you put into it! Really like how you centred the flowers and the thin taffeta ribbon across the front!
Kim

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails