Friday, April 22, 2011

JAI#65 - Mateship!

Well it seems that life is so busy at the moment I can only manage to update my blog once a week at the moment...because here it is another Friday and another Just Add Ink challenge.

This week's challenge is to Just Add Mateship/Friendship for ANZAC DAY.

The whole idea of the challenge is to portray mateship or friendship.  It can be a real blokey card or a feminine one that has a sentiment or image expressing friendship...I am not quite sure if my design fits so well with the challenge but you can be the judge and let me know.

So What is ANZAC Day all about?

ANZAC Day is a very special day in Australian and New Zealand history. ANZAC stands for the Australia New Zealand Army Corps and it is significant because on the 25th of April, 1915 Australia went into battle for the first time as an independent nation. We had only become a country in 1901 and prior to that we were a loose collection of colonies and this was our "baptism of fire" on the shores of Gallipoli.

Our troops landed on a beach at dawn (now called ANZAC Cove) on the Turkish peninsula on that fateful day. They suffered a terrible defeat but our men fought with great bravery. The battle really highlighted the character traits of mateship and sacrifice. We talk about the Anzac Spirit which was born that day and use the term as a mark of great respect. Australia and New Zealand commemorate this day with a Dawn Service and Parade to remember those who fought and gave their lives for their country, not only in World War 1 but in all subsequent wars.


Here is my creation...a very simple yet I hope poignant card.

Stamps: Friends Never Fade, Teeny Tiny Sentiments
Inks: Basic Black, Real Red (Stampin' Write Markers used to colour the flower)
Cardstock: Whisper White
Accessories: Two-Step Bird Punch (stem), Stampin' Dimensionals
 
This was actually my third attempt at fulfilling this challenge and I wasn't happy with either of my first two attempts! This process reminded me of a graphic designer I used to work with at the State Library who said that the first couple of designs she would come up with would be what anyone would create or what was expected and then usually the third or fourth design was more unique and something a bit more different. Well, I think that sums up how I felt with this process.


I hope this looks like a poppy as that was my intention and this is the flower that I think of when I think of the ANZACs and the men who remember their mates that have fought and died for their country.

The other reason this card is so special to me is beause while I was making it it reminded me of my brother who would have turned 40 yesterday (21 April) but who sadly took his own life at the young age of 23.

So Easter this year is very much a time of remembrance...of the death and resurrection of Jesus, of my brother and of the ANZACs. Take a moment this Easter to remember and pray for those you have lost and give thanks for those who are a part of your lives today.

Don't forget to pop on over to Just Add Ink and see how the rest of the Design Team were inspired with this challenge and then if you have time over Easter join in the challenge yourself, as we love to see how you are inspired by the challenges we set each week.

7 comments:

Sonia G said...

This is beautiful Mae!

It certainly captures the essense of the challenge.

Easter/Anzac Day must be a time of mixed emotions for you.

TFS

Cheers
Sonia

Patrice said...

I love your poppy Mae, it's turned out perfectly. Love your clever photography skills too.

Sam said...

It is a stunning card Mae. So beautiful in its simplicity...and most definitely looks like a poppy...no question about it.

Your post brought a tear to my eye Mae. My thoughts are with you.

Hugs,
Sam.

KimB said...

So much meaning Mae - you did a wonderful job to capture the challenge, and your feelings about your brother. It's very beautiful and very fitting.
Kim

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Such a beautiful card, Mae ... even better than described. It's difficult when 'those' special days click around. Thinking of you and your family. XX

Kathy @ Stamping Still said...

Beautiful clean and simple card Mae.

Jodene said...

I loved your card this week Mae, and the single poppy is just perfect for Anzac Day too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails