Friday, May 27, 2011

JAI#69 - Fussy Cutting!

Have you heard of the term 'fussy cutting' in card making or scrapbooking? Well, if not, today you will because this week the challenge from Just Add Ink is just that 'fussy cutting'! 'Fussy cutting' is where with a good pair of scissors, effort and patience you cut out a design from Designer Series Paper (DSP) or a detailed stamped image and adhere it to your card or layout.

As you would probably know by now I have just recently returned from Melbourne where I attended a Stampin' Up! Convention and from which I received lots of inspiration and ideas. One of the very talented people who did a Workshop WOW was the lovely Teneale Williams who shared some great tips and techniques with ribbon and I so wanted to use her ruffled lace idea using our glue stick that I just had to add it to my card for this week's Just Add Ink challenge.

Sympathy cards are not ones that I usually make and they are not ones that you want to rush, so the patience of fussy cutting lent itself to this card for me. I was very happy with how it turned out and I used Stampin' Dimensionals to add layers to my handcut images. You may not be able to see it in this photo but the top flower is actually raised above the others by simply adding two levels of dimensionals underneath.

Stamps: Thanks for Caring (AUT-WIN Mini)
Cardstock/Paper: Greenhouse Gala DSP, Baja Breeze Textured Cardstock
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Baja Breeze
Accessories: Paper Snips, Lace, Scallop Trim Border Punch, Decorative Label Punch, Stampin' Dimensionals, Sponge Daubers


Teneale not only inspired me with the ruffled lace on this card, but to decorate the inside of my card as she does on most of her cards (which I usually leave blank!), and so hers are works of art on the inside as well as the outside...she is such an inspiration!

Inside View

If you have the patience and a good pair of scissors then why not try your hand at creating a card, layout or 3D project using fussy cutting! Pop on over to the Just Add Ink blog and see what the rest of the team created using this technique.

10 comments:

Patrice said...

Your card is exquisite Mae. I love that you've cut dsp, it looks fabulous. Decorating the inside of our cards should not be underestimated - yours looks lovely.

Melissa said...

Lovely, Mae, that paper is great for fussy cutting isn't it? Love the inside done too, very pretty.

Christine Blain said...

This is beautiful, Mae. That DSP lends itself perfectly to this technique. Your card is gorgeous.

Jodene said...

This is beautiful Mae, inside and out :) Love the colour combo too!

KimB said...

This is so lovely Mae and really captures the sense of peace and caring you intent. The fussy cut flowers are a beautiful embellishment.
Kim

Liam said...

Beautiful card and love the inside detail too. I love the ds paper you used Just so perfect. Liam

Nikki Spencer said...

Inside and out, this is a lovely card Mae, beautiful colours and design, love that lace accent too.

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Fantastic fussy cutting, Mae. Love the ruffled crochet trim.

Leigh said...

I love this card Mae. You've got the lace technique down pat too. Teneale's demonstration was fantastic. I enjoyed it.

Kathy @ Stamping Still said...

Just gorgeous Mae, inside and out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails