Saturday, October 6, 2012

Faux Patina and Christmas Stockings!

Well I didn't actually combine the Faux Patina technique with the Christmas stockings, however, they will be both being demonstrated at a stamp workshop that I am holding this afternoon when this post goes live. Just a warning this post is longer than my usual so you might want to grab yourself a cuppa before you start reading or you can simply sroll through and look at the pictures, which I sometimes do when I am short on time and am blog hopping!

I was introduced to the Faux Patina technique through an entry in last week's JAI challenge from Karren (click on her name to view her fabulous card), and was inspired to try this new technique. I also needed something 'new' to show the ladies this afternoon as many of them are regulars to my monthly stamp classes (when I am not too busy and hold them!) and I wanted something different to show them.


Here is the first card I created using the technique and heat embossing with gold embossing powder (although this is not my favourite)...


I think what I don't like about it is the 'for you' panel, it doesn't feel like it blends into the card well, it just feels stuck on. I was trying not to use a panel/greeting that was too big and would hide the beautiful faux patina and ended up with something that doesn't quite work. Oh well, not every card is going to be just right.

Here is the second card I made with the same technique, except that I used Champagne Glimmer Mist at the end rather than Gold Embossing Powder, and I like this one much better...


Now for the other items that I prepared for the workshop and from which they will be doing a make 'n' take, decorating a Christmas stocking card...as the hostess has a guest (hi Karen!) who wants to see how this die gets put together and used.

I have taken inspiration from Nikki Spencer's gift to me as part of my Secret Santa present last year (I think that is when I got it from Nikki)...a Christmas stocking made from felt and beautiful stitching...


I then decorated a couple of Christmas Stocking Cards...




I also followed a video on how to make the Christmas Stocking into an ornament that could be filled with some lovely goodies (although I didn't have anything to put in it at this time)...



I haven't, but you could put a ribbon on the top of this to hang it from the Christmas tree.

Hostesses generally receive a FREE Catalogue for hosting a workshop, but as Sarah had already received hers at my Catalogue launch, I decided to give her a gift of a FREE Snail Refill (you can never have enough adhesive!) and decided to package it in another personalised Stocking card, inspired by this video...



I am hoping that everyone has fun this afternoon and enjoys the new technique and getting to play with the Christmas Stocking Die.



2 comments:

Bronwyn Eastley said...

These look great, Mae. Pity I don't live closer to Dodges Ferry :) I'm sure this technique and the fun examples with the stocking die were a hit x.

Nikki Spencer said...

Love the Patina cards Mae, it is such a lovely technique, they look wonderful!
Your stocking cards and gifts look gorgeous in those DSP's. Thanks Mae now l'm inspired my friend. xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails