Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sketch and Colour Challenge


This morning while everyone was still sleeping, once I am awake I have to get up, I decided to get into my craft room and play. Not that I was up that early - 8am which is actually a big sleep in for me, even on a weekend.

To get the creative juices flowing I thought I would play with a challenge and the one over at Still addINKtive was both a sketch and colour challenge so that definitely gave me a good starting point. Here is the challenge, which you could either use together or one element of, either the sketch or the colours, I decided to use both!


I didn't quite know what I was going to do but decided to just let myself play and see what comes together and I must say I was very happy with the results. I was trying to use the sketch literally, however, I felt that the greeting from the Field Flowers stamp set was too big on the oval shape from the Designer Frames Folder, which is the shape across the middle of the sketch. So I decided to just use a smaller greeting and frame which I felt did not then overpower my card.

Here is my card...


I like to continually browse through my Stampin' Up! catalogue because it gives me lots of ideas and inspiration and on page 21 of the current catalogue I noticed that a metallic split pin seemed to have been used with a Vintage Faceted Button and I thought that I would use that on my project. Except I used a Rhinestone Brad (Ice Circles) [retired] to match in with the colour scheme.

I even decorated the inside of my card, however, it was a bit difficult to get a good shot and when I opened the card and tried to take the photo that way the inside looked yellowy rather than white, so I decided to go with the shadow look photo instead (see below).


Supplies:
Ink: Early Espresso, Crumb Cake, Bashful Blue
Cardstock/Paper: Early Espresso, Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Bashful Blue DSP
Stamps: Field Flowers, Made for You
Accessories: Textured Empressions Embossing Folders - Lacy Brocade, Top Note Die, Designer Label Punch (retired), Rhinestone brad (retired), Vintage Faceted Designer Button, Crochet Trim Victoria, Stampin Dimensionals, Snail Adhesive  


I had fun creating this card and now I must get back to the usual routine as everyone is beginning to stir and my daughter needs help with a job application, hubby needs help with preparation for our upcoming camping holiday and I need to do some dusting/ironing/cleaning....the list goes on!

Thanks for popping in and I hope you find some inspiration here, and thanks for Bron and Kathy for the inspiration from their sketch and colour combo.



7 comments:

Christine Blain said...

This is a really beautiful card, Mae. So soft, and pretty. I've just noticed we used the same sentiment (love that stamp set!); great minds, hey?

Lisa Young said...

Oh, what a beautiful card! I love how you added the crochet trim and bauble on the left and I agree that the smaller greeting is perfect for for your card. Thanks for taking the time to join us at still addINKtive this week.

Patrice said...

Mae this is so lovely - those flower images are beautiful. Love the little lace/button/brad embellishment - good spotting on your part (in the catty). x

Kathy @ Stamping Still said...

This is such a pretty card Mae. I love the bashful field flowers and they look beautiful with that embossed background. I'm so glad you found some time to play with us at still addINKtive.

Nikki Spencer said...

Very pretty Mae, l love your faceted button/lace embellie, it's really sweet and such a lovely colour combo to play with. xxx

Vicki B. said...

Very Pretty, love those flowers!!!

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Oooooh, just love what you did with the button and rhinestone. This card just oozes 'gorgeousness' :) I just ordered those sentiment stamps because I think they will come in real handy. Thanks for the inspiration and finding time to play along with us this week. PS: I can never sleep in either!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails