Friday, June 2, 2017

Step It Up!

If you are new to stamping then I would strongly suggest you use the new Stampin' Up! Annual Catalogue as your inspiration and source of tips and techniques. It is not simply a catalogue to order from! Although that is helpful to, to get your crafting supplies!


Whether you are a beginner stamper or an experienced stamper our catalogue is full of beautiful projects and ideas on how to use the stamp sets, dies and embelishments. The catalogue is also full of hints and tips on what to do, what is quick and easy and many of the images have little "tip" taglines to inspire you further!

I wanted to join in with the current Just Add Ink colour challenge and decided to take my own advice and look through the catalogue for inspiration. Here is the colour palette that I was starting with...


This is the process I went through tonight to create my projects. I got my corresponding ink pads out and sat them on my craft table. Next I flipped through the new catalogue looking at the images and deciding which stamp sets that I had and what I thought would work well with this colour palette.

I chose page 66 of the catalogue and decided to show how you can stamp from a basic design (for the beginner stamper) up to a more embellished look (for a more experienced or detailed stamper). I also wanted to show how you can switch things around based upon what inks and crafting supplies you have on hand.




I started with the basic layout first and this was simply a matter of stamping with the Peekaboo Peach stripes onto Whisper White Card. I wrapped around some Pool Party Baker's Twine which I had and that matched to colour combo (as I don't have any of the 'new' Peekaboo Peach Baker's Twine, page 199, #144357) and tied off a bow. I stamped my thank you (realised after there were two styles in the stamp set!) with Basic Black ink on Bermuda Bay cardstock and the banner stamp, and then using my coordinating Duet Banner Punch (love coordinating punches & dies to stamp sets, makes creating so much quicker and easier!) punch out my greeting and adhered it directly to the card panel with snail adhesive. I then stamped my 'so much' on the stripe below. This front panel was adhered to my Pool Party card base and voilà my first basic card was made!



To make my second card, stepped up a little, I recreated my front panel but this time used all three of the colours for my stripes. I again tied around some Pool Party Baker's Twine around my card front and tied a bow, but this time my thank you banner was all stamped in Basic Black on Whisper White cardstock. I also adhered this to my card front with some Stampin' Dimensionals to lift it off the card a little. I again stamped the 'so much' on the stripe below my banner but added the 'sweet friend' as in the catalogue example. I then used some of our gorgeous new Glitter Enamel Dots (page 196, #144200) to add some bling similar to the sample in the catalogue where they used metallic sequins.

Before adhering this front panel to my Pool Party card base I used my Timeless Textures stamp set to stamp some gridlines on to the card first with Pool Party ink, creating a bit of textured and tone on tone stamping. Adhered the front panel and voilà my second stepped up card was made!


My third and final card, the one that had the most detail and more embelishments, did not take that much longer to make. Especially since I had made my first two and knew what process I was taking. The Pool Party card base was stamped again with gridlines from the Timeless Textures stamp set and the front panel also stamped like the second card.

As I didn't have the new Climbing Orchid stamp set or coordinating dies (page 21) and I wanted to stick to my chosen colour palette, I chose my Flourish Thinlits Dies (page 216, #141478) and cut out with my Big Shot (a great tool for the avid crafter, can't do without mine!) some Bermuda Bay leaves and Peekaboo Peach flowers, two big, one small. It is a good idea for layout and design to work in 'odd' numbers and to vary sizes and/or placement.

As in the catalogue I stamped the greetings in the same manner and placed my flowers accordingly.

Tip: I could have used our Fine Tip Glue Pen to adhere these intricate flowers and leaves, however, I simply used our Mini Glue Dots by using the tip of my Paper-Piercing Tool to roll the sticky dots onto themselves and this also gave a bit of dimension under the flowers. 

I then again used some of our new Glitter Enamel Dots to add some bling to the flower centres and voilà my third and detailed card was made!



Here are my three cards side by side. So whether you want a quick and simple card or right through to a more detailed design you only have to look in the catalogue for ideas and inspiration. 



If you don't have exactly what they have used, improvise and make the card your own design. This is also often called CASEing, where you Copy And Share Everything, or by simply changing the colour palette, switch around stamp sets on the layout or add a few extra layers or details you make it you own!


Haven't got a catalogue yet? If you live in Australia and don't already have a Stampin' Up! demonstrator then I am happy to help you out with your stamping and crafting supplies, contact me today - maecollins2@gmail.commaecollins2@gmail.com. You can order through my Online Store 24/7 and have the items shipped direct to your door! Don't forget before closing your order to add my Host Code for June - KXMW4ZDW - so that I can send you a thank you card and little gift! Also, don't select No Contact because then I can't send you this and I can't keep you up-to-date with what great specials we have from time to time.

If you want to get a few friends together, and you live in Tasmania, then I would love to come to your place and stamp with you!! In June, any workshop with $450 in sales, earns the Host EXTRA Stampin' Rewards to redeem on Stampin' Up! products.


Happy shopping and creating!!

Stamping Supplies:

Price: $159.00

6 comments:

Patrice said...

What a fabulous post for your readers, Mae. I love the idea of going back to basics and stepping it up along the way. Thanks for the reminder! It's so lovely to see you pop up at Just Add Ink - your card is lovely. xx

Mae Collins said...

Thanks Patrice. I have a couple of new stampers at my classes recently so it reminded me to go back to basics at times.

Nikki Spencer said...

Love these Mae💕 Sometimes l think we forget that basic can be just as effective, great post. Love the glue dot tip too. Lovely to see you pop up in my Just Add Ink feed. 😘

Mae Collins said...

Thanks Nikki I enjoyed this card process and always pop into JAI even if I don't have time to play along.

Narelle Farrugia said...

Great post Mae - we can all do this sometimes! Your cards are just fabulous and you've used the colours perfectly! Thanks for joining us at JAI!

Di Barnes said...

Hey, Mae :D Great to see you playing along at JAI. The challenge colours worked so well with all your cards - loved seeing the stepping up progression. The Flourish dies were a perfect choice for adding easy intricacy.
Hugs, D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails